Blaine graduated from the first iteration of this training program, and as a result is approved by the Bishop to lead services at St. Marys Metchosin. This is the third iteration - the first two were fully subscribed.
Are you feeling pulled towards leading the congregation in worship services when clergy are not available? This is the path to start that ministry.
Wally [250-888-6376] would be pleased to talk to you if you have questions.
------------------- [below is from the bc.anglican.ca website]
The Diocese of Islands and Inlets is presenting its third offering of the Lay Leadership in Worship course from mid-September to early-November 2023. The course will provide the skills and resources for laity to lead worship services, Morning and Evening Prayer and the Liturgy of the Word (a church service without the Eucharist). To date, 50 lay leaders have been successfully trained in the Diocese. Regardless of their knowledge and experience, all participants go on to deepen their understanding of liturgy and the Offices, and gain confidence to become more effective leaders of worship.
Course description: The seven sessions will equip lay leaders to:
- Understand the purpose of liturgy.
- Follow the liturgical year and the lectionary and examine their purpose in worship/liturgical formation.
- Understand our Anglican, geographical, social, and historical context.
- Become familiar with the broad principles and structure of the Offices in the BCP and the BAS, as well as the Liturgy of the Word.
- Learn to plan worship collaboratively in your parish.
- Access the available liturgical, lectionary, prayer and sermon resources needed to plan and lead a worship service.
Dates and location:
- Via Zoom, on Thursdays from 7pm - 9pm on September 14, 21, 28, October 12, 19, 26, November 2.
- Three months of mentored practical experience in your parish/region, followed by a final Zoom class on Thursday, February 1, 2024.
Cost: Free; however participants must purchase their own copy of the required reading well in advance of the course.